Begin your BJJ journey!
IMPROVE YOUR FITNESS , LEARN HOW TO DEFEND YOURSELF, learn chokes, locks , escaping bad positions while having fun in a friendly group!
Everyone is welcome to participate, No previous experience is required !
The classes will be held by our Head Coach Thomas Vander Eecken from Belgium and some instructors.
Thomas earned his Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu under world famous competitor Cicero Costha. Thomas also has Wrestling experience under Dylan Fussel.
Aside from BJJ, Thomas has a Karate background from his training at a young age, as well as Muay Thai and Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) expertise, having lived and trained in Thailand for two years.
Classes taught by Thomas will always be in English, but he is fully capable of teaching in French, Spanish and Portuguese as well.
- Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-jitsu under the famous COBRINHA
- Wrestling experience under Headcoach Dylan Fussel
- Muay Thai experience having lived 2 years in Thailand
- MMA experience
- Karate Background
When does the Beginners course commence?
The course starts on the first Tuesday of every month. The course runs for a total of four weeks, split up into two classes per week, for a total of eight classes overall. The classes are held at the following times:
- Tuesday: 6pm – 7.pm
- Thursday: 6pm – 7pm
- T-shirt / rash guard / shorts / spats / track pants
- Bottle of water
- No piercings or jewellery whilst on the mats
- Please ensure your nails are trimmed, personal hygiene is a must
- The minimum age for the course is 16 years
Week 1 – Introduction
- History of BJJ and an introduction to the sport
- Your first judo throw: the OGoshi
- Your first submission: the Rear Naked Choke (RNC)
- Your first sparring session (practice fight)
- Giftwrap position to take the opponent’s back, followed by an RNC
Week 2 – Progression
- Your first wrestling takedown: the Single Leg
- Your first joint lock: the Americana
- Sequential combination of Americana to Giftwrap to Backtake
- Sequential combination of Americana to Straight Armbar
- Continual sparring
Week 3 – Bringing everything you’ve learned together
- Modification of the Single Leg Finish to High Single Leg Finish
- GIftwrap to Armbar
- Knee on Belly to Farside Armbar
- Continual sparring
Week 4 – Simple self-defence strategies
- How to avoid punches from the Guard
- How to Re-Guard
- How to stand back up: Technical Stand Up
- Tripod Sweep
- Tomahawk Sweep
- Live demonstration of high-level Brazilian Jiu Jitsu sparring between the instructors of the course
After completing the four-week course, students can join our Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Fundamentals classes, to continue their learning.
The total price for the four-week course is €60.
Please see the map at the bottom of the page for the club location.
The full address is No. 3-4, Triq Gerolamo Gianni , SAN GWANN ,SGN 3504, MALTA.
How to sign up
To sign up for the course, get in touch with us by filling out the form below.
Please let us know your name, age, previous martial arts experience and if there is anything else you feel we need to know.
We’re super excited to meet you and look forward to welcoming you to our academy.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Beginners course begins on the first Tuesday of every month.
This course is for ANYONE over 16 years of age who is interested in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. If you’re willing to learn something new, we’d love to meet you!
The Beginners course is four-weeks long. There are two classes per week: Tuesday: 6pm – 7.pm and Thursday: 6pm – 7pm
Head Coach Thomas Vander Eecken from Belgium. Thomas earned his Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under world famous competitor Cobrinha
The beginners course is €60 for all eight classes.
No previous experience is required. We have a range of students who join us, most have zero martial arts experience. There are no fitness requirements either, you’ll get better as you learn!
No 4 Triq Gerolamo Gianni San Ġwann, SGN 3500